Would you like to set up a home office at home? We have put together the most valuable tips for you.
If you work from home regularly or for a more extended period, you should set up a proper home office. This involves setting up the required hardware and software correctly, the communication options with colleagues and VPN access.
- setup workspace
- Group communication via smartphone, Skype & Co
- How can I connect to my company via VPN?
- Troubleshooting tips
To work as effectively from home as from the office, you should synchronize all browser bookmarks and the mail program. In addition, it may be helpful to expand the hardware:
- Windows 10: Set up a second monitor
- Windows 10: Use multiple desktops at the same time
- Windows 10: Share printer
- Windows 10: Create a new user
- How do I find out my IP address in Windows?
- 12 tips for more battery life on your notebook
- Add exceptions to the firewall
- Clean your PC – this is how it works
- Clean the keyboard
- Clean your cell phone
- Google Chrome: Export bookmarks
- Firefox: Export bookmarks
- Internet Explorer: Export favourites
- Opera: Export bookmarks
- Safari: Export bookmarks
- Sync Google contacts
- Outlook: import contacts
- Sync Outlook for free
- Sync Outlook Calendar with iPhone
- Outlook: create a backup
- Sync Google Calendar with Thunderbird on Windows
- Sync Google Calendar with Thunderbird on macOS X
- Thunderbird: Multiple recipients in the address field
- Thunderbird: Set up a vacation notice
- What should you watch out for in terms of data protection?
Group communication via smartphone, Skype & Co.
To be able to continue working with your colleagues, telephone conferences via smartphone or Skype are ideal. You can also transfer files directly via Messenger or a cloud. Or you can use all of these functions bundled in Microsoft Teams.
- iPhone conference call
- FaceTime conference
- Facetime for Android: There are these alternatives
- WhatsApp group call
- WhatsApp video call
- Set up call forwarding
- Create a group call on Skype
- Record Skype video calls
- Broadcast Skype screen
- Add Skype contacts
- Skype alternatives: what is available?
The tool for uncomplicated digital collaboration with chat, video conference and file-sharing functions is currently offering its otherwise chargeable packages with extended functionality due to the corona pandemic free of charge:
- Microsoft Teams: features and prices at a glance
Storage data clouds
- Set up iCloud on the iPhone
- Google Drive: sync Windows files
- Sync OneDrive
How can I connect to my company via VPN?
In most companies, you can connect to your workstation via a VPN tunnel. It is best to ask your employer for the details. Often each company uses its program. Here are a few valuable pointers about VPN and how to set it up:
- What is VPN anyway?
- Setup VPN on Android
- iPhone: Set up VPN
Set up remote access
But you don’t always have to convert or rebuild your home computer right away. Remote access to your company computer can help here. But clarify the establishment of remote access in the company beforehand.
- Set up remote desktop under Windows 10
- Ubuntu Remote Desktop: Remote access to Windows desktops
- Mac Remote Desktop – How to enable remote access
- Control the Mac remotely with the iPhone
- Set up remote access with Android
- Mac Split View
- What is TeamViewer
- Record screen with Windows 10
- Windows 10: forgot password
- A USB mouse is not recognized
- The USB stick is not recognized
- The printer does not print
- Windows 10: No sound
- Recover lost Word document
- My internet is slow – what to do
What should you watch out for in terms of data protection?
If you work from home, you should follow a few rules to keep your home office from becoming a privacy risk. These concern, for example, the use of private computers or telephones, the handling of personal data or the protection of your business data. You can find more information on data protection in the home office here in our article.