A year ago, it was not clear to many entrepreneurs that one of the next most important acquisitions would be Video conferencing software. In Covid-19, more and more companies have switched to providing their employees with home office workplaces. But even in times of the corona pandemic, working life must go on, even if there are different circumstances. There are a few tools that can help here and that make a video conference easy. In the following, we have for you a comparison of many providers who provide Video conferencing software, with costs or free of charge.
Table of Contents
What is a video conference?
Holding a video conference was part of the program of many companies even before Covid-19. But since the beginning of this pandemic, this has become one of the most important tools in some companies. Who in the Home Office operates, which must work with his colleagues, but with its employees and customers and one or another business partner in constant contact to be. This is especially true for companies that operate internationally, and meetings are no longer possible on site. So everyone uses Video conferencing.
Requirements for a video conference
To be able to hold a video conference, you have to meet a few requirements. For you, these requirements are not always the same but differ depending on the video conference software and provider. For example, you can choose browser-based software or download tools as part of a specific software package. But no matter what Video conferencing software it is, you have to meet a few basic requirements to hold video conferences.
- Hardware: A desktop computer is suitable as hardware, but also your smartphone.
- Internet access: If you have not received a fixed dial-in number with the Video conferencing software, you need Internet access via WLAN.
- Camera: A webcam is suitable here, but also the camera from your smartphone.
- Sound recording device: You can even hear what is being said during the video conference; you need either an audio recorder, a headset, or headphones with a microphone.
- Sound player: To play the sound, you need headphones or a speaker.
Usually, the camera, sound recording, and sound playback functions are automatically included in laptops, tablets, or smartphones.
Suitable video conference software
Before purchasing Video conferencing software, you first have to think about the requirements you have for this software. Certainly, a large corporation with international connections needs a different tool than a small company or even sole proprietorship. So you have to determine yourself which important functions your Video conferencing software must contain. You have to meet the requirements for the software according to your circumstances in the company and your communication requirements. Only then can you look around for a suitable provider. Important questions to ask yourself when choosing are:
- How many potential participants are there at your video conference?
- Do you need a screen split function?
- Do you want a high definition or low-resolution video quality?
- Do you expect a function to be able to encrypt data?
- Do you want to work on documents together with the participants of a video conference?
- How much money do you want to spend on Video conferencing software?
- What contract term are you willing to enter into?
It would help if you had answers to these and many other questions to search for and find the right video conferencing software for you.
Best Video conferencing softwares For Your Company
There are numerous offers to be found in the market. In a video conference software comparison, it is easy to see that these software packages differ in their provider, price, and functions. The following overview should help you to make the right decision for your video conferencing software.
Depending on the provider, Video conferencing software has differences in terms of video conferencing tools. Every software has its advantages and disadvantages. Here, too, of course, it is crucial which requirements you place on your software. A large company needs a different video conferencing tool than a small company, for example. We have also created an overview of the 14 tools already listed above for these advantages and disadvantages.
Skype has been on the market since 2003. Back then, it started as an instant messaging service but has become an integral part of Video conferencing. Skype is now part of Microsoft, and this is also noticeable in its further development and functions. Skype has a lot to offer you:
- Up to 50 participants can take part in a video chat.
- Instant messaging can also be used during a video conference.
- Skype offers a soft focus. The background is automatically detected and is defocused. With this, Skype achieves that the speaking person always comes to the fore.
- If you want, you can display the conversation as a subtitle. Speech recognition makes this possible.
- You can even have your screen content transmitted during a video conference with a mobile device.
- Skype can be used with all common operating systems. The mobile version can also be used with Android and iOS.
The Video conferencing software WebEx comes from Cisco. This software is primarily aimed at large companies. With WebEx, it is possible to hold video conferences with up to 40,000 participants. Of course, the video conference software also offers end-to-end encryption. But other functions are very beneficial.
- Every video conference can be carried out with a whiteboard. This is visible to every participant.
- You can share your screen with the other participants for viewing.
- Several people may be working on documents at the same time during the video conference.
- The video conference software offers you versatile connection options.
TeamViewer offers you a common solution for video conferences and online meetings. As a private user, you can even use this video conference tool free of charge. For you as a businessman, different prices or tariffs are available to you.
- This video conference software makes a video conference possible for up to 25 participants. However, the number of possible participants depends on your chosen tariff.
- You can use this software across platforms.
- The quality of the picture and sound are sufficient.
- You can use a trial version for 15 days. As a business customer, you can then choose from various tariff models. The minimum price is 27.90 euros per month.
The software Zoom allows you to invite up to 1,000 participants to a video conference. However, only 49 subscribers on the screen were simultaneously displayed. If you opt for the free version, only a maximum of 100 participants are possible. You do not need your account to participate.
- In addition to a video conference, it is also possible to chat with one another.
- You can share files with other participants via the software.
- You can share your screen with each participant, and you can also work together on a whiteboard.
- Instead of the background in your office or your private room, you can also choose a different background for the conference.
It would be surprising if Google didn’t offer Video conferencing software. Google Hangouts is included in G-Suite products and is particularly suitable for use with the browser. You can access the Video conferencing tool directly from your Gmail account. The free version allows a maximum of 10 participants, but you can expand this up to 250 participants with the paid version.
- Google Hangout is free for normal users.
- There are two other versions as a business customer, especially if you want to use the video conference instrument frequently.
- A chat can be started at the same time during a video conference.
Microsoft Teams can be seen as the successor to Skype4Business and is primarily aimed at larger companies. This video conferencing software is part of Office 365, and you can combine it with other services from this provider. Teams can edit tables or documents, and up to 10,000 participants are possible. You can also plan your video conferences via the Outlook calendar and hold them in teams.
- The software is available for the Windows, Android, macOS, and iOS operating systems.
- The video conference tool can be operated completely via the browser.
- You can also connect this software to devices for video telephony.
Amazon offers Amazon Chime via its own very large server network. This software is aimed primarily at SMEs and allows video conferences with up to 16 participants. The software can be used with the web application via the browser.
- Installation is possible on operating systems such as macOS, Windows, Android, and iOS and can also be used on mobile.
- You can share your screen content with others.
- A mobile application is only possible for a maximum of 8 participants.
Slack is a communication platform that is channel-based. With Slack, collaboration is possible that is effective, and other tools and services can be connected together.
- In Slack, participants can share files.
- Different tariff models depend on the size of the company.
- The software is aimed from small companies to very large companies.
GoToMeeting is one of the most popular platforms for video conferencing. The high-resolution video quality is particularly appreciated. There are different variants of subscriptions, and a maximum number of participants of up to 25 people is possible.
- Participants can join in with their webcam broadcast.
- Up to 250 participants are possible without individual transmission by the camera.
- The tool is also available as an app for Android and iOS.
With Whereby you can hold your conference call directly from the browser . None of the participants is forced to download the video conference tool beforehand. A separate account is also not required.
- Up to four people can use the tool free of charge.
- Up to 50 people have a monthly fee of $ 60 with a team account.
- You can use the tool on your smartphone or desktop.
You will find a wide range of Video conferencing software options on the market. There is a wide selection for every type of company, from small to large, with which you can hold your video conferences with little effort. A video conference tool differs from its provider and the functions offered and included. If you don’t have great demands on your Video conferencing software, you will get good free offers. Basically, the larger the number of possible participants and the more functions you want, the more you have to pay for good video conference software.