We’ll show you how to let YouTube videos run in the background on your smartphone.
In the age of countless apps and registration cards that are open simultaneously, you are almost used to content continuing to run even when you switch to another window. However, this is not the case with YouTube.
A video will automatically stop playing as soon as you switch from one YouTube app to another. A corresponding function to circumvent this has still not been implemented in the YouTube app. You can still use other apps to keep the videos running in the background.
- Browser apps
OGYouTube (only available for Android)
OGYouTube can be installed as an alternative to the normal YouTube app for Android. With this app, YouTube videos continue to run in the background or when the display is switched off. To be able to use the app, however, it must be installed in APK files. Follow our step-by-step instructions or take a look at the quick start guide.
- Step 1: Download the APK file for OGYouTube from APK-Mirror. After the download, tap ” Open ” to install it.
- 2nd step: After the installation, you will be asked to install ” microG “. Tap OK.
- 3rd step: You will automatically return to APK Mirror led to microg to install.
- 4th step: Open the OGYouTube app and tap the video you want to watch. In the video view, you will find the ” Background ” button. Tap on it, and the app will go into the background.
Another way to be able to play videos in the background on YouTube is through browser apps. If you call up YouTube via a browser, the playback works similarly to videos on a PC. This means that even if you change the registration card – or the app on smartphones – the YouTube video continues to run. You can use this trick.
There are differences here depending on whether you have an iPhone or Android device. We’ll show you how you can use Firefox (for Android) to play YouTube videos in the background and what the current status is on iOS:
Play YouTube videos in the background with Firefox (Android)
- Step 1: Download the Firefox app from the Google Play Store. Open the app and then enter ” YouTube ” in the search bar. In the upper right corner, tap the three-dot icon.
- 2nd step: Check the box next to ” Desktop Page “. The view then changes to the one you are used to from surfing on the PC. If you now select a video and then switch the app, the sound of the video will continue to play.
Play YouTube videos in the background with Firefox add-on (Android)
To activate the Firefox add-on “Background video playback”, follow these step-by-step instructions or take a look at the quick start guide.
- Step 1: Open Firefox and tap the three dots in the lower right to open the menu. There you select ” Add-ons “.
- 2nd step: Now scroll down to the ” Background video playback ” add-on and select it. Please note the information from which the Firefox version of the add-on works. Then tap on ” Homepage “. You will be directed to the Firefox Add-ons webpage. Note: If you don’t see the add-on, go directly to the Firefox add-on website and search for “Background video”.
- 3rd step: You will now see the ” Background Video Playback ” add-on for Firefox. Tap ” + Add to Firefox “.
- 4th step: You will now be asked if you want to add the add-on. Read through the add-on’s permissions. If you agree, tap on ” Add “.
- 5th step: You will receive a confirmation that the add-on has been added to the Firefox app. You can now tick the box to allow the add-on to be used in private mode. Finally, confirm with ” OK “. You will now find ” Video playback in the background ” in the add-ons under ” Activated “.
Play YouTube videos in the background on iOS
Unfortunately, it is currently no longer possible to play YouTube videos in the background on iOS. The only option available to you here is YouTube Premium. After a one-month free trial version, the costs are € 11.99 / month. As soon as there is another option to play YouTube videos in the background, we will update the instructions at this point.
Quick start guide: OGYouTube (Android)
- Download the APK file for OGYouTube from APK Mirror and install it by tapping ” Open ” on your smartphone.
- When prompted to install microG, tap OK.
- Download the APK file for microG.
- Find the video you want to watch in the OGYouTube app. Tap the ” Background ” button, and OGYouTube will continue to run hidden.
Quick start guide: Firefox add-on (Android)
- Open the Firefox app and tap the three dots in the lower right corner.
- In the menu that opens, select ” Add-ons “.
- Scroll down to and select the Background Video Playback add-on. (If you don’t see it, go to the Firefox add-on webpage and look for “Background video playing.” Then skip stepping 5.)
- Tap on ” Homepage “. You will be redirected to the Firefox add-on website.
- Now select ” + Add to Firefox “.
- In the subsequent dialogue, you can see the authorizations of the add-on. If you agree, tap on ” Add “.
- Now you can allow the add-on to run in private mode as well. When you’re done, tap OK. The add-on is now active.