The SIM PIN is a four-digit numeric code that helps protect the data on the SIM card from unauthorized access. The information on the SIM includes, for example, the phone number, the contacts in the address book, and the SMS. This detailed guide will see how to change the SIM PIN on an Android phone and iPhone. All SIM cards for sale are already equipped with a PIN, generated randomly by the telephone operator. Generally, it is advisable to change it with a personal numeric code to avoid having to check the PIN marked on the SIM card every time you forget it.
It can happen to lose the card and the information associated with the SIM, with all the unpleasant consequences of the case: blocking the SIM (after three consecutive incorrect PINs) and a considerable waste of time to recover the blocked data. The solution? Change the PIN of the SIM card with a familiar numeric code, or in any case, a code that is easier to remember. This is an effortless operation, which does not require any particular knowledge, but above all, it is essential to protect your data. So let’s detail the steps to change the SIM PIN on Android and iPhone smartphones.
How To Change The SIM PIN On Android
To change the SIM PIN code on Android, access the SIM lock settings in the “Security” section of the phone, enter the current PIN and change it with a new code. Once this is done, you must confirm the change by pressing the appropriate button that appears using a notification at the end of the procedure. For example, here’s how to change the SIM PIN on Samsung :
- Tap the Settings app (gear wheel icon) to open the phone’s general settings menu.
- Select the “Biometrics and security” tab.
- Scroll down and tap on the “Other security settings” option.
- Click on “Configure SIM lock.”
- Move the lever from left to right next to “Lock SIM card” to lock the SIM card using the PIN and change the unlock code later.
- Enter the current PIN code using the numeric keypad, which automatically appears in the second half of the screen.
- The button next to “Lock SIM card” turns blue using the correct PIN code, and the “Change SIM card PIN” option becomes available. If you entered the wrong PIN code, you would have to repeat the operation from the beginning, moving the lever next to “Lock SIM card” and typing the PIN a second time. Remember that you have up to three attempts, after which the SIM lock is activated. We suggest you do not go by trial and error: if you do not remember the PIN, do your best to find the SIM card supplied by the telephone operator when you purchased the SIM.
- Now tap on the “Change SIM card PIN” option to change the SIM PIN with your code.
- In the new pop-up message that opens, re-enter the current PIN code, i.e., the one you intend to replace, then press “OK” to confirm.
- Under the message “Enter a new SIM card PIN. 3 attempts left,” enter a four-digit code that you want to use as the new SIM PIN of your Android phone, then press “OK” to confirm.
- Immediately afterward, a new pop-up will appear, asking you to repeat the numeric code you just entered to confirm the PIN change. Then enter the new PIN a few seconds before and press “OK” to confirm.
- If you have followed all the above steps correctly, you will receive a notification (“PIN change successful”) from the system in a few seconds confirming that your PIN has been changed.
Well, you have managed to change the SIM PIN of your Android phone in a few simple steps. It wasn’t difficult, was it? Note: Some items in the above list may differ depending on the smartphone model or brand. Our guide used a Samsung Galaxy A52 updated to Android version 12 with One UI 4.0 on board.
How To Change SIM PIN On iPhone
To change the PIN of the SIM card on the iPhone, you need to access the “Cellular” section and the “SIM PIN” item through the settings, then enter the current PIN to unlock the “Change PIN” option. Once this is done, enter the new desired code. Here is the step-by-step guide to changing SIM PIN on iPhone :
- Tap the Settings app to open the iPhone settings.
- Select the “Mobile” tab.
- Touch the item “SIM PIN” on the new screen that opens.
- If it is not already active (as per default settings on iOS), move the lever from left to right next to “SIM PIN.”
- Enter the current PIN code in the field under “Enter PIN to unlock the SIM. 3 attempts remain”, then click on “Finish” at the top right to confirm.
- The “Change PIN” option becomes available if the operation is successful.
- Press “Change PIN” to change the old PIN with a new one.
- Enter the current PIN in the field under the wording “Current PIN,” then press on “Finish” at the top right.
- In the new screen that appears, type the new code you want to associate with your iPhone’s SIM card in the field under “New PIN,” then tap “Done” to store the changes you just made. If you think about it, tap on the “Cancel” option at the top left.
Well, if you have correctly followed all the steps described above, you have just completed changing the old PIN with a new one. Note: Some items in the numbered list above may differ depending on your iPhone model. For this in-depth analysis, we used an iPhone 12 Pro Max updated to version 15.3.1 of the iOS operating system.
And that’s all. Our guide on changing SIM PIN on Android and iPhone ends here. We remind you that the SIM card will be blocked if you fail the PIN three times in a row. To unblock it, you will need to know the PUK code, another numeric code provided by the telephone operator on the SIM card next to the PIN code.
Also Read: How To Clean The Smartphone Camera